9 January 2008

Where to find the best-known works by Hieronymus Bosch

When I was a little girl I promised myself that I would see all the most important museums in the world. (I still have the evidence of it, in my diary) I am 51 as I am writing this and I have to say that I have almost completed my desire! However, there still are a few that I wish to visit. Some of the museums I have visited several times and I will do it again and again. Do I love museums, yes I do. I love to see the original paintings, no copy can compete with the original. I love to see the museum's buildings too; I love to smell the explicit atmosphere of specific museums. They are so diverse, so unique.

But this is not what I wanted to tell you. I want to give you some information about Hieronymus Bosch's works, and where to find them.

The first painting, his best known work "The Garden of Earthly Delights", is to be found in the Prado in Madrid. Museo del Prado is one of my favourite museums, and not only because of the great collection of Hieronymus Bosch, but also because of the great collection of Spanish art of course.

What can you find more from Bosch (fantasy work) in Prado:

  • The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things;
    completed in 1485.
  • Paradise and Hell; painted c.1510. The work consists the left and right panels of a minor triptych based on The Haywain Triptych (also in the Prado).

    This painting is part of a series of four, the others are Terrestrial Paradise, Fall of the Damned and Hell.

  • Copy by a follower of Bosch The Temptation of St. Anthony.

The painting The Temptation of St. Anthony currently hangs in the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, in Lisbon

The triptych of the Temptation of St. Anthony
is to be found in the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium in Brussels. One of my favourite museums, too. If you are in Brussels don't forget to visit it. There are some utterly amazing art works hanging on the walls.

The Garden of Earthly Delights is not my favourite work of Bosch though. My preferred painting is without doubt a triptych (from an altar) The Last Judgment created sometime after 1482. This triptych currently resides at the Academie für Bildenden Künste in Vienna. Just saw it again last November spending two weeks with my darling Jim in my darling Vienna.

The other work of Bosch that I really like is the Ascent of the Blessed, painted sometime after 1490. It can be seen in the Palazzo Ducale, in Venice, Italy.


Hell
Hell Bosch, Hieronymus

Giclee Print

Buy at AllPosters.com


No comments: